View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
PS Audio announced this morning what appears to be a closeout sale of its highly regarded DirectStream DAC with the Network Bridge II installed. If my math is correct, the price will be $4,000 -- while supplies last.

On the one hand, what I have read about this DAC/streamer, especially with the new Windom software upgrade, is very impressive -- and, at this price -- is akin to a siren call, strongly inducing me to buy one. But, on the other hand, the fundamental architecture of this product is five years old -- which is a lifetime for a digital product, even one software-upgradable. This factor is a bit of a red flag waving.

And so, I feel somewhat like the horse frozen between the bucket of oats and the pile of hay -- unable to commit to one direction or the other.

To complicate matters, I am very pleased with my current DAC/streamer (a Lumin T2), which is based on dual Sabre 8028 DACs. That being said, affordable upgrades are always in the cards for me.

As a consequence, I am soliciting the thoughts of others about this dilemma.

When this DAC first came out MQA had not been released yet. Network Bridge II allowed for full MQA as well as wireless streaming to it. There has been talk on the PS audio forum about a Network Bridge III so this may be one of the reasons for the sale on units with the Network Bridge II pre installed. I have been very pleased with the performance of this DAC. The whole deal with a FPGA module instead of a fixed architecture is so though software the DAC can be updated. They have released a new update Windom which is really fantastic. You have ability to install other prior versions which you can download for free if you prefer a different sound.