Thread: Accuphase DC-37
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Martin

Quote:
The DG-58 DAC section is practically the same as the DP-720.
Yes, and also as the DC-37.
In 720 and and DC-37 I think the power supply is a bit more refined, but the "style" with one ESS9018 per channel is the same.
Then again the 901 is even more refined as PSU and has 2 ESS 9018 per channel, another notch above.

I think without a direct switching comparison, one has really to have a *very* good pairs of ears and a wonderful audio memory to be able to spot the differences.

But if all these small improvements are put together (power amp, pre, DAC, player, etc), then systems like your Reference start to sound sensibly different (and better) I think.

Quote:
It's digital volume control (DG-58) vs. analog volume control (preamps with AAVA).
Yes, that is the question. Now I'm debating with myself if the inevitable *little* coloration/noise that I'd have with a good pre in the chain would be compensated by the benefit of having a good and user friendly AAVA volume. A try with a 2420 or a 2820 is almost inevitable at this point

Quote:
Fully agreed especially since you use DG-58 and passive elements together.
Agreed: the less problematic is the room, the better the DG-58 works. In very bad rooms, I think that the Accuphase way is "not modify too much the audio signal anyway".

In that respect, I think Dirac does a little better job in improving really difficult situations.

But I think that had to be expected. When the DG-58 was created (like the ones before) the Accuphase engineers probably had a target in mind: people with good rooms and good systems, that really wanted the extra mile from the equipment.

Last edited by Mattia; 03-18-2015 at 09:02 PM.