View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Charles, I remember that you have been thinking about upgrading your speakers for a long time.
Even the Alexandrias came into the picture, but you were afraid that they would be too large for your room.
I'm happy for you that you found the Alexx, and that they seem to work very well in your room.
Enjoy them to the fullest!
Yes, that is absolutely correct. I always wanted a reference set of speakers but always fell short. Although the XLF would definitely fit they would have been "stuffed". And then there was the enormous cost. I have always believed that the money in a hi fi system should be spent on speakers and around speakers. I have always had really high quality interconnects and cables. I have a very quiet system, meaning no hum of any kind at all coming through the speakers. I can tell any of you that if you have this issue you have a problem in my opinion. But now I would like to do a "connection" upgrade and it will take some time and money. But not this year.

I will send some pics. Its a disappointment to me that I am poor at photography and in posting pics because I personally like the way I have my system set up and its looks. I have all my equipment far removed from my speakers, except for the amps which are extremely well ventilated because they set on the floor on granite slabs (about 200 dollars apiece, very cheap but beautiful when it comes to audiophile racks). I keep my speaker cables very short and my amp/preamp connection quite long which is as I believe it should be. My Thor is set horizontally precisely in the middle eighteen inches from the rear wall and with the roll off beginning at 30 Hz there is zero localization effects. I will say again if any of you are thinking about speakers and like bass the way I do, consider the Alexx. The bass in this speaker is special. "Sudden" and balanced are the adjectives I would use to describe it. Most speakers are deficient in upper bass in regards to low and mid bass. The Alex does not over power you but you hear all the nuances of low bass and truly excellent upper bass so they excel in blue grass which has a lot of quick soft bass. You hear every note. However when the low bass is really there, the Alexx/Thor combo blows me away.

Last edited by Charles; 03-04-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add thought