Thread: A-47
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 06:16 AM

While the gain adjustment on the A-47 certainly would help you to dial in a sound level such that you can use the Ayre with the volume turned up as high as possible (thereby minimizing resolution loss) I have to agree with Masterlu in that having a high-quality pre-amp is something to be glad about.

Personally, I use an Accuphase C-2120 with my A-47 ;-) This also gives me much-needed balance and tone controls; features that seem to be in very short supply on most modern high-end units.

Though when I listen to speakers I usually bypass the tone controls; listening to my Stax headphones however I give it a gentle bass boost and even gentler treble decrease.

Given your preference for low to medium level listening a Class A amp like the A-47 should be your ticket; it's possible an E600 could fit too but if you have the budget the C-2120/A-47 combo is a significant step up. And presents a much larger power reserve for your Dynaudio Special 25's which aren't the world's most efficient speakers...