View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 03:45 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I agree with jpgr4blu.

I have not heard the Ref Anniversary but I'm familiar with the sound of the Ref 6 and Ref 3 Phono, and I own the Ref 10 and Ref 10 phono.

The newer units do sound different from the 5se, 2se, 10 and 10phono. The newer units are bolder and a bit more forward sounding. The prior units are more laid back. Forward and laid back are neither good nor bad; its a matter of preference imo. Forward does not mean aggressive and laid back does not mean slow.

The 10s have more detail, tonal and harmonic richness, and micro- and macro-dynamics than the 3 and 6. Highs and lows are better with the 10s. Much of that is about the power supplies. The Anniversary has an excellent reputation - jpgr4blu can say more - it is a special unit made for that point in ARC history.

If you're new to ARC you probably don't know these prior units. I'd look around to see if you can find a gently used Ref 10 - it will be worth paying a little extra. Barring that, I don't have a decision for you, but you will likely be quite happy with either Anniversary or Ref 6.

Last edited by tima; 11-03-2018 at 03:47 AM.