View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
For me it comes down to the mastering process. Since the LP, CD and HiRez file are rarely mastered by the same person there can be differences that make any format sound better or worse. Generally the version (for the same album) that was mastered the best is what sounds the best regardless of what the media type is. One exception, and there may be others, is the Sheffield Lab D2D LP's. Since those are out of print now and there are no "copies" other than the "safety" analog tapes from the sessions, the Vinyl versions of those (if in good shape) tend to sound quite a bit better than the digitizations of the analog tape "safety" recordings.

Bingo. This is why digital sourced (CD or hi-res) vinyl can sound better than its CD or even hi-res download (heresy!!) IF the download is compressed to death and the vinyl mastering used non-compressed files.

I have many digitally sourced LPs that sound identical or worse than the CD and many that sound divine. It’s a crapshoot.

It pays to research for opinions on SQ on other websites before laying down 30 bucks for a vinyl record. I learned my lesson years ago after blowing lots of cash on ok at best pressings.

Bottom line, vinyl and HiRes can both be great or lousy. Gotta do your homework.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion