View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM

I'll throw in my $.02 as well. I currently own both F2a and GM-70 amps (non-Shindo) and have auditioned those Shindo amps (Cortese and Lafon) at Pitch Perfect. To me, the GM-70 does share a lot of the traits of the F2a with the benefit of more power, better bass and even more sense of presence. I think I mentioned in a different post that while my 300B amp gives me the sonic perspective of 10th row in a hall, the F2a puts me in the front row and the GM-70 has me up on stage. In addition, copper plated GM-70's have a warmer, more liquid midrange than their graphite counterpart. My only issue with F2a tubes is that after a while I do end up missing some of the midrange warmth I find in other tubes (especially when listening to orchestral strings). Copper plated GM-70's adds a bit of warmth back over the graphite plated GM-70's.

So overall I agree with Steve from New Mexico (awesome system!). While F2a and GM-70's are both wonderful tubes, I prefer the GM-70 (especially with copper plated tubes). Only downside is I find the GM-70 tubes themselves pretty ugly.

The Lafon GM70's are by far my favorite Shindo amps of all those I have heard.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion