View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 03:42 PM

Actually, no. I was leaning toward the Yggy but I started seeing these small recording labels popping up (like Sound Liaison, Nordic Dynamic and some others), some of which are exclusively DSD so even though I really didn’t have any DSD recordings I didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity. I was thinking about upgrading from my Bryston BDA-2 to a BDA-3 when I started hearing about the Yggy. I liked what I was hearing about the Yggy but was concerned about no DSD. Then I saw a couple of reviews of the HaloAudio Spring that caught my attention starting with the May and July Stereophile and then I did other research. Then, I just went for it. Sometimes you have a feeling on something and it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. In this case, I think I hit a home run. Let me say this, if you want DSD then you need USB. If that is the case, just use USB out anyway, they recommend and I got the Singxer SU-1 Audio Bridge. It converts USB to i2s which I hadn’t even heard about before this. That gets the best sound. (BTW: My music comes out of a Bryston BDP-2 fed by Synology NAS and also a 2 TB USB external hard drive). A very close runner-up is AES-EBU. I have a WW Gold Eclipse AES-EBU which I used for the first couple of weeks. The sound is very close to using the Singxer but is limited to PCM. The only head to head comparison I did was with my BDA-2 which has always, and still sounds good. However, when I put in the Spring DAC, it was like I had a totally new, different and better system. My wife came home and heard music from a different room and was upset because she thought I bought new speakers. Really good, expensive speakers. That’s a pretty good compliment.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.