View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Default TOGA 2019 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Toga - The system looks great.....so I have a question, comparing the expensive Magicos to the more budget minded Magnepans....what do you think when you listen between the two pairs? How close do the Magnepans get to the Magicos? I think a lot of us would be interested in how those two speakers in different price points compare in a controlled setting like your room.

- Buck

Buck, good questions. Before I can answer this I have to tell you that the 3.7i cannot be placed in the ideal position, they had to be placed like that, too far apart in my opinion.

The 3.7i I think was the best value for money speakers I
have ever purchased. The purity of the sound , the huge soundstage and they go very loud. Bass was fine and solid. They can do action movie pretty surprisingly well too. I didn’t miss the Q7 much at all listening to Maggie.
Until then I switched back to Magico Q7 and that made me realized why I paid that amount for Q7, the Q7 sounded more completed and all around. With bass punch and depth that the Maggie can only dream about.
If I can start from day 1. Of course Maggie 30.7 spring to mind. However what I describe here is the Maggie driven by Moon mighty 888 and Transparent Opus speaker cables. Oh one thing I don’t like about Maggie is the quality of the terminals in the back. It’s cheaply made by
cheap materials. The speaker terminals is a nightmare.
I wanted to throw it all away and make new one using a thicker aluminum plated and better binding posts. What made the Maggie sound so good was the principle of that flat panel. If only they are built to the same standard of Magico, using solid aluminum frame, a better wiring and terminals, that would be great. But the best value for money thing will sure gone. The Maggies need huge space and very sensitive to positioning to sound balanced between imaging and frequency response. And they love watts !
In the future plan to find them the other room to breath and dreaming to see a set of Mcintosh to drive them.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 07-20-2019 at 11:26 PM.