View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans View Post
That's a beauty! I've wanted one for a long time. I got a MAC4280 on ebay about a year ago for my daughter and it looks great, but it has issues. I found out that although the 4280 was designed by McIntosh the guts of it were made in Japan. Based on that, I had overpaid. Sometimes one channel goes out in a way that indicates a bad transistor somewhere. Cycling the power temporarily gets it going again. The balance control doesn't work properly and neither do the tone controls (indicating what strikes me as a broken solder joint ). According to McIntosh the 4280 failure rate is no worse than any other Mac unit.
The intermittent channel problem is likely due to a fault with the internal jumpers between the preamplifier and main amplifier sections. Installing an interconnect between the two usually will not correct the problem, sad to say. Will probably need a lap through one of the Mc doctors.

Not the "worst" receivers ever made but the 4275/4280 were definitely not the units of the MAC xx00 series and cannot drive 2 ohm, unlike their bigger brothers.