View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Utmost impressive system, yet getting more a step above. I'm curious, did the drivers
of Thor change of do you think it was just the crossover improvement? Or was it two-
fold - both crossover and Thor improved to you previous setup?
I think it was the age of the old Thor. It was about 10 years old and I put it through a lot. It was under powered for a long time, using a Mac 601 mono amp. It definitely needs the 1.25 KW. It was one of the first made. I am assuming Wilson is using their current generation X-material in the new one. The difference is not subtle. I think speakers age and I wanted a system that will grow old together. This speaker system is my last one. While I will certainly reserve the right to upgrade my sources and amps as Mac introduces new gear, the Audioquest and Wilson will remain unchanged.

Here is the subwoofer tip: Using a Wilson subwoofer test CD and playing a 50, 40, 31.5 tone discover the phase setting that maximizes the bass. For my system it was the continuous 40 Hz tone. At 0 the bass is maximum. At 180 the bass is minimum. The phase doesn't seem to have any affect on the rest of the tones but has a marked affect on my 40 Hz tone.

I have in my system a peak of about 4-5 dB at 40 Hz on a pure tone. It has been present in every system I have had. By adjusting the phase to 90 this peak goes away leaving the rest of my frequency range untouched. It is noticeable and provides that final touch of integration of the Thor into my system.

Greg Weaver of TAS first clued me in on this possibility in his article on the VSA Ultra 9 loudspeaker on page 136 second paragraph of October Issue 298. It's the best subwoofer tip I have ever read.

It works for me in my room. It may not work in yours.

For those of you that are audio purists like me, a subwoofer is deep treacherous water. It is extremely difficult to get a sub integrated into a system without the use of an equalizer and an equalizer can be heard and degrades the audio signal. I would never consider using an active HP crossover or equalizer for this reason. However, using the phase control you can have your cake and eat it too. But it may not work for you as it has for Greg Weaver and me.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 05-25-2020 at 12:30 AM.