View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks Dave for the reminder.

You are correct that the PS1230s (2 of them, not one) are broken in at this point. I set them up about mid-December and they've been in the rotation since that time. They replaced two PSAudio P10s, which I liked, but the P20 made me think. Then, I thought too hard, lost track of the checkbook, talked to Dan and you and others, and shit, I bought two of them.

I have not been disappointed. Right out of the box, they created a wider, deeper, quieter soundstage that simply was not there before. I loved the P10s (and, to be clear, they were a rather small fraction of the cost of the PS1230s), but there is simply no comparing them. I added the P20 to my system, but I didn't care for the size and the unit I got was not DOA, but had a terrible clicking sound that wouldn't go away (with a reset, firmware update, etc.). Not being crazy about the form factor (or having to send it back for a new one), I plunked down about four times the green for two PS1230s.

For those that know Accuphase, the 1230s don't disappoint. First of all, they're heavy - not as heavy as my A200s, but pretty darn close. Second, they're beautiful - wife actually approves of the look. If you like the brushed gold face and general Accuphase aesthetic, these are right up your alley. I love the analog read out that one can switch on or off and check various settings, meter readings for incoming voltage, etc. In fact, I'm going to get up and turn it on right now, just because it's awesome (in low light, I often turn off as many readouts as possible). The only thing I don't like about the facade is the on/off switch, which is ... dare I say it .... plastic. I was amazed when I flipped it on - it still has that great Accuphase feel in movement, but it is, after all, .... plastic. I just love the power switch on the A200s and the C3800, but this one leaves me feeling synthetic. It's OK, and by no means fatal, but come on - this is Accuphase, and I want to feel that brushed gold under every button and knob.

The rear provides 8 120v outlets that are tight as a drum - nothing flimsy there. One thing I lost as compared to the PSAudio products was the high voltage outlets that control the power surging through to the amps, but I just give a little time (about a five count) between flipping on components and all seems to be well. I have them sitting on four stillpoints (forget which ones, I can never tell them apart) and they're just quiet - like night time in the snow.

Sound quality, it is what one might expect (if one is an Accuphase fan). If the A200s had an iron grip on the TADs before, then after the 1230s, they have a titanium grip (apologies for the bad analogy, but it's all I could think of). Just damn strong sounding, but still like all of my accuphase components:

- precision, without sharpness
- smooth, without washing out
- strength, without over bearing
- touch, without too much softness
- unique classic look, without short lived novelty

Highly, highly recommended. Only issue is that I'll have one on each amp in the new room and will have to get something else to run the source components (which will hopefully be quite a distance away).

They do not disappoint. Footnote reference to the ridiculous pricing in the US, but damn I love this stuff.