View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 06:07 AM

I used to use a 211-based amplifier, but found a 300B amplifier has sufficient power to drive my speakers (I chose my 300B amplifier as it was designed specifically to mate with my speakers of the same brand); even using a linestage with no gain provides sufficient volume.

I think the 300B is a specialty amplifier as it is not likely to work with many speakers, perhaps only speakers in the 94 dB or greater range and an actual flat 8 ohms or higher. Pairing with less efficient speakers might be a setup for disappointment (any speaker with a minimum rating of greater than single digit watts is probably a no-go; my speaker minimum is 3 watts).

Getting a perfect match of speakers to the 300B amplifier results in purity of sound that may have few rivals and it plays plenty loud in smaller rooms.

Search "SET friendly speakers" or similar terms for a listing of the brands users have found work well with 300B amplifiers and maybe those that definitely do not work well.

Good luck in your search; the 300B amplifier has transformed my listening experiences (a nice, simple circuit that in my mind retains more of the original signal than higher-powered amplifiers with their more complex circuits) and barely uses 1 watt of power most of the time, probably fractions of 1 watt.