Thread: Tom Petty - RIP
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 PM

Default Thank you, Mr. Petty, and God bless

Petty was absolutely brillliant as a total musician and poet. In particular, he embodied in the art form a superbly incisive understanding of the human condition. To be able to creatively express such complexity the way he was able, with such raw & organic emotion and intelligence, for such important and meaningful themes, is a true gift. Some may refer to this as genius. Regardless, I join you all in saying I am thankful for his time here, for his contributions. His music touched me personally, and he is deeply missed by many. His melodies and lyrics helped me through some difficult, and very dark, times in my life. In particular for me, "I won't back down" is a humbling and inspiring anthem for resilience. That tune alone has been worth more than its weight in gold for me. Bless you, Mr. Petty. God be with you.
My best,
Shrinky

Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down
(I won't back down)