View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 AM

Exactly the point I've made, repeatedly. Something well made is always well made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
A quick chime in. I've owned my 802D2 for close to 5 years and over time, it's become better and better with the assortment of music I listen to. Upgraditis kicked in when i heard about the d3 so I auditioned them when they appeared in the showroom. They were very nice (not crazy about the looks though) but at a significant premium over what I originally paid, that on a bang for buck equation, didnt work for me as the % bang wasnt equal or more than the % increase in buck.

Through discussions with my dealer and reading the forums here, I then decided to invest in a B&W DB1 to augment the 802D2 and to rationalise my 2 setups with one sub for both music and HT duties. After fussing around (see other threads on preamp and DB1), I am hearing my system like I've never experienced before and even I dare say, content for the first time...ok maybe a 2nd DB1 if I can hide it from the wife.

Having said that, do i like the d3s? Most definitely. Better than now, not sure but definitely different. Which brings me to my ultimate point. I've been observing a very interesting phenomenon and not restricted to the realm of these B&W speakers. I find a lot of people take the new is better approach so far that to reinforce such notions, involves making the point that previous iterations are just less worthy. I read that a lot in reviews and on forums such as these.

The d3s are good but with their release, it really hasnt made my d2s bad. They didnt just go past its expiry date because something replaced it. I'm a huge car guy and every generation of newer models are supposed to be better (and technically they are) than the previous version. However, when I drive my "older" version of the cars, they are still fantastic! So yes, the newer is good but it hasnt made my older worst.

Does this make sense to anyone else other than myself?