View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 PM

It took me a while to get my JL f113 to match up with my CLXes, but I think I got it down now. I ended up moving it further into the corner and turning them down, just a nice fill, no booming, barely noticeable. Sometimes I turn the sub off, but usually I leave it on now that I have it dialed in. Without the sub on, they are actually better in the bass then I expected, but they can sound a bit thin.

I have also settled on turning down the treble a bit with excellent results. Perhaps it's my room or my gear, but I find them to be a bit bright and turning down the treble a bit does the trick. This was not done lightly, I am a pretty devout flat tone guy, I really do not like using tone controls. But this time they worked. I'm pleased with where they are now.

So they are now dialed in and sounding great. The one issue remains and I knew this going in, but now I live it...these are brutally unforgiving speakers. Good recordings sound quite good, great recordings are simply breathtaking, but poor recordings sound truly awful! Some poorer recordings are simply unlistenable. I listen almost entirely to my very large collection on my server, often in random blocks. I have listened to songs that sound like I am listening to a single speaker clock radio centered between my speakers and the very next song sound like I am listening to a surround system. When they're bad they are just bad, but oh when they are good, they are soooo good. Some recordings on my system have been some of the best sounds that I have heard on any system (I have listened to some very serious systems). They are very special speakers, but like anything, there are compromises.