View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 PM

Welcome klao!! Glad to hear the good news on your Modwright! I replaced the rectifier with a NOS Mullard CV1377. I did not notice much, if any difference like I did with my amplifier. However I do notice quite a bit difference rolling the 6SN7’s. The Sophia’s defiantly sound better than the Harmonix. It is my opinion they are not $200 worth better, but defiantly better. My new red base RCA’s sound better on my Klipsch but I suspect that people with conventional speakers will like the Sophia’s or NOS Sylvania type tubes the best. Below is a response I received on another forum in regard to my speaker’s causing ear fatigue and sounding too bright for me:

“Garbage in garbage out. The great majority of readily available 2-channel material is barely fit for a Bose system. Unless you have a nice library of well recorded material, horns will overwhelm you with their unforgiving nature. Horns force you to seek out good recordings, and it can be a frustrating process. If DVDs and Blu-rays are knocking you out of your seat (and I highly suggest getting some good DVD and Blu-ray concert discs) -- that's the only indicator you need -- it's not the source components, room, or speakers. “

I must say I agree with it. DVD-A and SACD sound stunning on my newly Modwright Modified player.