View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Default Preamp Tube Replacement

Finally after 12 years of 5 hours per day use of my Gold Lions tubes in my McIntosh C2300 had to be replaced! What prompted to even think about replacing them was that my system started to sound "blah"! I can't think of any other description to explain it. I purchased two set of tubes for the preamp. Gold Lions where one set and the other was Tung-Sol matched pairs. I installed the Gold Lions first and never looked backed.

Since the Tung-Sol where never used so I swapped them into the C2300. Interesting after about 20 hours of break in time. The Tung-Sol have a much more neutral but an open sound, where the Lions were bright but an open sound. I'm not saying one is better than the other just different. The subs are definitely more pronounce than I ever heard before. I'll order another set of Gold Lions and make another swap in 2031!

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000