View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
I don't own the 20.7, but I run the 3.7i speakers and haven't had any trouble with blown fuses or ribbons. I play them reasonably loud at times, but never push them too hard. Typically fuses can only protect drivers by limiting the current flow and resultant power delivery, whereas if you push your amp too hard distortion can cause the driver to blow without blowing the fuse. When you have blown the ribbons are you playing them very loudly and possibly pushing your amp into clipping distortion? The amp driving Magnepans needs to have sufficient current capability into their four ohm impedance, and higher power amps tend to be best suited to driving them effortlessly in my experience without damage.
Thanks! I never had repeated ribbon failures with the 3.6 as I have experienced with the 20.7s. I use a very powerful amp (Classe M600), so I don't think that the amp is the culprit. I do admit to playing music loud on certain occasions, but my point is that the fuses should burn first not the ribbons.
I just had two blown tweeters and the filament in the fuses did not even curl. In the past, if I was playing the 3.6s very loud, I would check the fuses afterwards and if the filaments looked a little bit 'crooked' I would replace them. This time, with two ribbons gone, the fuses look like nothing happened. It is very odd.