Thread: A new G2 owner
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 11:47 AM

Default A new G2 owner

Hi all,

after more than a year I write another post. I have managed to buy a second-hand G2 in white. I had Sonus Faber Olympica III before. After 3 days of critical listening I can tell:
1. This is a much steeper step-up than the one from SF Venere to SF Olympica
2. Dynamics is infinite. Unbelievable...
3. Imaging - bigger but still precise, effortless, with much deeper image than SF O3. Its like a huge wall of sound coming down on me.
4. Orchestral, classical or soundtrack music is marvelous
5. Women voices very authentic
6. Men voices I feel slightly coloured
7. Piano finally sounds like piano. I could not tell this about SF O3 unfortunately
8. Resolution substantially higher without being harsh or tiring (believe me I was listening 8 hours in a row without being slightliest irritated :-) I am amazed how many songs have a decay of the studio ambience.
9. However, SF O3 had its strengths - I would say that timbre of some instruments was sweeter - eg. Strings or cymbals had longer decays. This may do with the silk dome tweeter of SF.

I use PS Audio Pwd Mk2 with bridge + Pass Labs int 30. For me thats plenty of power. Only one song was hit by lack of power and uncontrolled bass - Deep Purple Child in Time made in Japan. My Room is without special treatment but quite well dumped in a natural way.

I would like to thank all of you (Bart, Portugal, and others) for sharing all the information at this great forum. It really helped me to make this absolutely brilliant purchase.

Maybe one question. I am quite nervous about the grilles not to be attached more firmly. I have small kids so I would like to fix that somehow. Maybe I will try to tie them up with a fine white fibre to the speaker. And of course put a cover on them.

Thanks again and have a nice sunday!

Vico