Thread: Lamm!
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
I definately have to say those amps look extremely burley, they remind me of the John Curl Parasound amp from years ago, but only the first 10 W were in pure class A, then it switched to A/B as to not melt people's processors.

It was an AWESOME amp when paired with ML, and I'm sure LAMM is on the completely next level in pure Class-A
Yeah, there is a bit more going on. The single triode in each amp drives the output MOSFETS in a very linear way, since tubes/triodes excel at that. This way the signal is preserved as much as possible and the output stages are biased class A to stay true to the signal as well and not have any crossover distortion of class A/B biased circuits. Since the amps don't have any global feedback, the harmonic content of the music is preserved very well. Their preamps are also all class A with either a fully tubed topology or tubed regulated solid state output. Together, they put on quite a show when it comes to music.

There is nothing toobey about their preamps, where they bloom and billow is the 3 dimensionality and soundstage. The palpability factor is rather impressive. There is no added coloration or "warmth" from the tubes in the preamp and there is no need for it. The amps/preamp combination has just the right amount of weight, scale, impact and the tonality seems spot on to my ears. Like I mentioned before, they are not warm and fuzzy sounding nor are they lean and etched, just right! Seductive not for their forgiving and soft nature which they don't have but seductive for their harmonic content and a natural, relaxed, harmonically rich presentation.

Last edited by PHC1; 04-07-2009 at 01:02 AM.