View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 07:20 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Thinking isn't doing. Make it happen! .
The other piece is that live music doesn't always sound like how I hear/read it described in reviews and on websites. It can be hard, bright, heavy, unbalanced, etc., which depends upon several factors. So the question comes, what am I looking for, exactly? Do I want sound that's pretty, nice to listen to, or do I want something closer to the real thing? Except for the bottom end, what I heard last night from the JALCO sounded like what I get at home in some ways, and makes me begin to think I should leave things alone. A different venue might have me going another way on that, however. And I think it important not to change out tubes or any other component based primarily upon what I heard at one venue.

One thing's for sure: I want a solid bottom end. The BDs give me that and the JJs gave me that. If I remember right, the reason I didn't keep the GLs or Mullards in was the handling of brighter recordings, which the JJs tamed better than any of them. The Mullards didn't have enough bottom at the time either, after settling in; maybe the new setup with the Transparent PCs will help that. I also remember that the the JJ HP's warmer tone allowed me to turn things up more than the other tubes did. THAT has significance, and it's another test I should add to the proceedings.

Anyway, if I have an idea of what I'm listening for, that will inform my choices. I still have need to clean up the room and clear space to work with my preamp (which I haven't had a chance to do, I'm that busy). And I'm not posting photos to garner sympathy for how bad it is in here. I need to find/make time to do the job so I can move on. The GLs or JJs will be next, and unless something else happens, "the next voice you hear" will be comments on how that goes.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks