View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 08:54 PM

Default Watts -> Had -> Audio Bliss

I'm just curious if anyone else is using the Chord digital processing to feed some of the Inspire tube amplifiers?

I used to love my LP vinyl system over anything that I could muster up digital wise. I had a Chord mScaler hooked up to the Chord Hugo TT2. This raises the Redbook 44.1K sampling to 704K or 768K, depending on the input. I was using a push-pull amp of reputable nature. My vinyl always sounded better, even though the detail was much brighter, along with tighter bass on the digital. I also had a good but not great subwoofer.

I have made several improvements in the last few months:

1) I added the Inspire LP-2030 preamp. Not only does this add a wonderful tone to the signal, but also provides a volume control along with 2 outputs, one for the sub and one for the speakers.

2) I added the Inspire KT88 SEP amp. Being a guitar player, I am enjoying the RCA or Marconi 6L6Gs in it. Of course the Zeniths 6V6Gs are warm and inviting as well.

3) On my second system, I've hooked up the LP-2030 to the recently purchased Inspire 300B-DJH model. I have 2 sets of speakers in my listening room, thus the 2 mostly separate systems. I am using the LP-2030 preamp in both systems. I have the 300B SET amp connected to my older 1995 Infinity Prelude Towers PF-Rs speakers. Robert Harley made the ultimate endorsement for the Prelude PF-Rs in the Sept '95 magazine of Stereophile. He purchased them . Since I am former employee of Harman International, I bought a set in 1996. They still keep up with the best of them. I love the silk dome tweeter in the d'appolito array.

4) I upgraded my Hugo TT2 to a Chord DAVE. It has superb stereo separation and has about 50% more taps than the Hugo TT2.

5) I've just purchased a set of Inspire speakers from Dennis and Allan. When I couple them to my Sunfire XTEQ12, they rumble. I have the KT-88 SEP amp hooked up to the new speakers.

Although my Lexicon RT-20 has a superb soundstage compared to my previous Sony flagships and Oppo transports, I usually use TIDAL to stream hi-def audio to my mScaler and then to the DAVE. The upgraded signal is then fed to Dennis' preamp, and then to the KT88 or the 300B.

Now my vinyl sounds flat, although I must admit there is an intrinsic warmth that still reels you in. I wish I could hook up the Vinyl player to the mScaler, but I guess it's rather awkward (and perhaps even sacrilegious) to convert it to digital only to convert it back to Analogue.

Just wondering if anyone else is using the Watts upgrade on the digital side to feed the wonderful SETs and SEPs that Dennis is offering? I am simply enamored by the digital source/analogue output combo of the single ended variety.

I guess I should mention that Ron Watts is the consultant/designer for the higher end Chord products, in case some are unfamiliar with Chord.

Last edited by Hoosier Hi-Fi; 08-22-2022 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Clarified SET setup.