View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 10:16 PM

Thanks Masterlu!

A little about me and my Fathoms: I bought the first pair of F113s sold in Canada about 15 years ago...my how time flies. I bought the second pair some time later. Had a few issues with a couple of them, I think there was a "coffee percolating" sound from one after a while etc... Warranty service was very good and they traded out for a new one I think. I recall having an issue with a different one and Barry Ober (Soundoctor) was the tech support guy and after learning about my back and forth issues he authorized a replacement sub for me, which was above and beyond. I had changed one of the dsp units in one sub, can't remember why. Then after that I had many trouble-free years. Recently one of my subs started humming a bit more than it used to...I put the xlr input into the other input and it seemed to help. I get the impression a little hum has started to come back but still tolerable in my very quiet room so far.
The other day, I think after a short power outage, I noticed that one of the subs wasn't on...went through the process of checking the outlet etc... Eventually came across some posts which linked to this thread and it sure sounds like that is what the issue is with my dead sub. I don't mind giving it a try and if all else fails it can be sent to JL.

Not sure I have confidence in the service section of the Canadian distributor so I was thinking that if I'm going to keep these subs indefinitely then it may be worth sending a pair at a time to JL in the USA to "recondition" and bring back to a like-new state. The $400 cost is not too bad but the shipping may be a PITA. Or I could sell them and try something new since sub technology seems to have advanced in the past 15 years. Decisions decisions, lol.