View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM

Default Ref 2SE phono problem, any insights?

Hoping the ARC expertise here can help me diagnose a problem.

So, I have been happily using an ARC Ref 2Se phono stage I picked up last year as the line was phased out. Bought new from authorized dealer not local to me. Been lovely until now. Couple of days ago, I played some records and thought something was not right. The volume on the right channel was distinctly quieter than the left. Thinking it might just be a recording, I parked the thought away until the next day when I confirmed this to be the case - music is just louder out of one channel.

I played CDs for comparison, system sounded fine, the imbalance was only on vinyl. OK, maybe a loose connection so traced everything back from cartridge to preamp, no obvious problem. Quick check of the cartridge with my Fozgometer indicated both channels putting out similar levels on that measure, reseated phono cable etc. Still hearing the problem.

Contacted ARC for help and their email response was to check everything again before assuming it was the phono stage or tubes. Had me reverse input cables (no change), output cables (no change, other than what was once on the left side came out the right, and vice-versa, but the right channel still a little lower in volume), then swapped tubes 1 and 2, then 3 and 4. Minor change, maybe, maybe... but the volume difference in channels still apparent on the same side.

Today I installed another cartridge just in case but no dice, same problem. Further, I am sure the high gain setting I use is not giving me as much general volume as before, I have to turn the dial a bit more to get levels I am used to hearing in general.

So, I am fairly sure the problem has to be in the Ref2SE but the guy from ARC is not convinced and suggests I find a way to test the phono stage in a friend's system (would I had friends who had vinyl rigs!).

Any thoughts on this? I am going to try a new phono cable just in case, but the one I am using is new and is seating well at both ends. I've tried both inputs on the phono stage. I don't just want to drop a couple of hundred bucks on new tube set in case that's not it (the current set have only 650 hours or so on them) but I am sort of flummoxed by this.

thanks

P