View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi

I think what he means is that some products have 2 separate signal paths from input to output. So the positive half of the waveform and the negative half of the waveform have independent circuits throughout (which doubles the cost).

The only issue with this type of topology is the advantage of the Balanced inputs cancelling noise through common mode rejection is lost.
james
Right, typically, when I see a product state "fully balanced" its means its not summed internally (ie back to SE, and then back out to balanced - I am coming from the headphone world, so maybe its a bit different). It is my understanding that maintaining these separate signal paths is the ONLY way to maintain common mode noise rejection as you can't have a break in the chain, however, your statement makes me think I'm mixed up in this?

I believe the BHA-1 will convert SE input to balanced output (both XLR and front panel headphones), so thats a potential work around - outputting line level SE to the BHA-1.

Realistically, I need 3x outputs - 1x balanced preamp for my monitors, 1x preamp for another zone, and 1x balanced line level for my BHA-1. I'm using splitters and some other hacky fixes right now as I have my BHA-1 serve all these duties. I THINK the BP17 suites my needs more, I guess my question is are the qualitative differences enough that I should go for the "cheaper" BP26 and deal with the ergonomic shortcomings.

Thanks all!