View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 12:32 PM

I have had my DirectStream DAC now for nearly three years, so it's well "broken in". From what I hear and read from others, most people find the DAC is "settled in" when it's got about 500 or so hours on it.

I used to have the PS Audio PerfectWave transport, and I thought that sounded excellent on "regular" CDs, connected to the DAC with the I2S (HDMI) cable.

I upgraded to the DirectStream transport, connected as well with the HDMI cable, for probably the first 200 hours just playing SACDs, to break the unit in. Once done, I must say, my "regular" CDs do sound significantly better than they did when played on the PerfectWave transport, many of them sound just as awesome as SACDs.

I do have one small problem with the new transport. Only very occasionally, and only when playing SACDs, the sound will drop out for a second or so. Paul has indicated that they are working on a firmware update for the transport, when that's available, I'll apply it. This happens so infrequently, not something I'll stress about.

In all, I think the DirectStream DAC+transport combo is the best digital sound quality I've ever heard, better than the best MQA I've auditioned (using my Mytek Brooklyn DAC).

Very happy with the new transport!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling