Thread: My own nirvana
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
PMC MB2s WOW! Must be a big jump from the OB1s.
Huge jump, like jumping off the Brooklyn bridge

My taste in music is rather unusual because i like everything from Norah Jones to 2pac, I also love house music as well as trance, hard trance. I am also a big fan of rock and roll like AC/DC. Finding a speaker that could play all of those types of music at the applicable volumes is not easy as we all know but MB2's pull it off and disappear in the process which is not exactly easy for a speaker of that size.

Having 700w pumped through the MB2's via the 7b's with some slamming house was audio nirvana for me, same as something like AC/DC back in Black at 60% power, its just so life like and clear with no hint of breakup or distortion. Yet I can listen to some norah jones at a much more polite volume level and she sounds oh so sweet, you feel like you can stand up and hold her hand while she sings to you.

My poor old MF power amp has been getting a beating this last two months as the MB's just soak up whatever they have to offer which is why i am looking to add some head room without sending me into debt ( easier said than done for a mortal like myself)

For the record this is my 4th set of speakers and I feel these will be the last for quite a while as they are a huge step up over the OB1i's and were an accidental upgrade so far as I wasn't supposed to keep them. They got dropped off for a demo , but once they were in place and connected up they just blew me away and did not want to give them back. I went from having a wonderful sound stage in the sweet spot to having a sound stage you wade through when you get up to change cd's, and I am not joking when I say that. That simple fact combined with their ability to play flat from from 20Hz to 20Khz just ticked all the boxes for me.

Besides, who needs a sub when you have 2 x 12" bass drivers?

For years now i have been reading about how good the PMC pro mid is and I thought some of it was over exaggeration because lets face, we all tend to talk things up at times but in this case and rather sadly for my wallet, the stories were true because the mids are so life like it is hard to believe. The entire range in the speakers plays extremely well and the only thing I would change on them if I could, would be having them in the walnut finish but for the price i paid I am not going to complain as they were sold to me at wholesale cost

Once I finish my latest engine build off I will find some time to work out the correct height stands and get them fab'd up which I think needed to be 8-10" in lift to give me the 20 degree down from the mids at listening level but i need to check my notes- this is what PMC recommends for their reference level kit.

Last edited by essjay; 10-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.