View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 03:26 PM

I have some experience with single ended vs. balanced that I think at least indirectly applies to headphone amps. So here goes.

My first McIntosh amplifier was an MC 2102 - a 100 wpc stereo amp that can also be run as a monoblock in either mono parallel mode or mono bridged mode. I ended up getting two, and experimenting with the parallel and bridged mono modes.

In mono parallel, the sound didn't really change. In mono bridged, magic happened. The distortion dropped dramatically and the clarity, soundstaging, and punch increased. It was like a completely different amplifier, and all to for the better.

I ended up replacing the two MC 2102's with two MC 2301's. This is what McIntosh had to say about this balanced amplifier:

From the web:
"The MC2301 is the first McIntosh vacuum tube amplifier to use our Quad Balanced design. This design cancels virtually all noise and distortion in the audio signal. As a result, even when amplified to high levels the signal is effectively free of any distortion."

From the manual:
"The fully Balanced Push-Pull design is used from input to output. The resulting fully balanced configuration cancels many forms of audible distortion and greatly improves the Signal-to-Noise ratio of the amplifier"

Interesting.....

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v