Thread: C-5xeMP
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 01:06 AM

She's a beauty! Are you missing the astronomy buttons of the 7?

Do you listen to DVD audio? There are some fantastic concerts that are only available on DVD, but not CD. I used to have the Classe universal player, which offered the set-up screen of the DVD so one could select which audio track you wanted (PCM, Dolby, 5.1, etc). On the Ayre, you can toggle through the various audio tracks, but there's some guess work as to which you've chosen since you don't get the screen view. It attempts to select 'best' audio track, but I believe the Owner's Manual recommends toggling through, then making a note in the DVD case as to which you select so you can easily return to it.

Pink Floyd's Pulse is an exceptional DVD (if you like Gilmour and their tunes; the DVD audio track is not the same as on the CD by the same name, FWIW, and I personally prefer the performance on the DVD). The DVD offers a HiRes audio track (one of four options). On the Classe, one could see the four options on the screen and select it. The Ayre defaults to the Dolby stereo track, which sounds muted and dull. But when you toggle through the audio tracks, it is quite obvious when you land on the HiRes track. Even if choices are PCM Stereo, Dolby Stereo, 5.1, I found the PCM to be the brightest and most detailed, but the Ayre would default to the Dolby.

Other DVD concerts not on CD that have excellent two-channel audio tracks (I never watched them, just listened to them): Diana Krall's Live in Rio (Paris is also great, but on CD), Joe Cocker Live in Berlin, Neil Young's Heart of Gold and Eagles Farewell I (sooo much better than Hell Freezes IMO).

Happy listening!