Thread: MQA Discussion
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Mark Waldrip runs a Hi-Rez download service and physical media company, AIX, whose business model is directly and incontrovertibly threatened by MQA.

One thing that's getting lost in the discussion is the ability of MQA to undo the damage done by the brick wall filtering used in the mastering of early Redbook CD's. Since there were very few of these converters used, it should be straightforward to apply the appropriate correction and improve the time domain performance of these CD's.

So the debate marches on unabated. I will say that for me there is no debate - hi-rez native files, even 24/96 win out in sound quality over MQA to my ears in my system. But no one is streaming those right now, and if they were, my slooow Century Link Internet service couldn't handle them anyway.

Which brings me to my current modus operandi - listen on Tidal MQA. For the very rare album with sound quality and artistry deserving of a hi-rez download, I'll buy the file.

Yes we are, up to 24/192 even, with Qobuz, without a single hiccup.
Over 50% of the new albums come out every week in high resolution (24/96 and 24/88.2 mostly).
Bandwidth might still be a problem now in some rural areas, but in a couple more years, this will no longer be an issue.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables