View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post

But seriously, my wife talks to me all the time about confirmation bias and how it can contribute to whatever argument a person wants to make and believe in. Taking her point to heart I can now understand why my liking the looks of big, fat hawser-sized power cables and interconnects contribute much to the increase in perceived audio quality.
This is a great point. But of course it does not mean that those big fay cables don't help. A related issue is that at the high end, there is typically no free lunch. When you swap one high end component for another, you might improve sound stage, just for example, but is there a cost to the bass?

With both of these problems in mind, I've tended to move away from strict focused A/B testing to extended listening where I have a chance to forget the components. Then if I find myself wondering why the sound is better or worse, I know I'm onto something.