View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by nununo View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for a new set of speakers.

I had been listening to the V1.5 and I feel in love with them. But they lack bass. And even though the sound is always wonderful, a cello sounds like a viola. So I asked my dealer to try a full range, and he suggested the B1.

I heard the B1 at my 30m2 living room with Nagra electronics (PL-L + PMA) and was completely taken by the amount of detail and soundstage they can create. But even after a long time trying to find the right spot for them I found two serious problems:

1. The bass was completely out of control. Someone said it may be due to lack of power from the amps. My dealer says that's not the case. At 200W each, they're supposed to be at ease with the B1. I'd believe it's my living room.

2. The dynamics is exaggerated. Listening to a string quartet I would always feel like wanting to raise the volume when a single violin is playing softly (to hear more details) and immediately felt like lowering it when the four instruments go into a crescendo. Not realistic at all.

The B1 sounded like an untamed beast.

Maybe these 2 problems can be solved with room correction. I have a fairly vivid 30m2 living room with a bookshelf, a large rug, but some clean walls. And if that is the case I'd buy them. But... I don't want to risk buying them without being absolutely sure.

Can it be that the B1 have too big a sound for a 30m2 living room? I've seen pictures of B1 placed in relatively small rooms, though. I wonder if my living room has some sort of problem. And I wonder if it can be corrected without ruining the whole place (it's my living room after all).

For now, the only alternative I am considering is the V1.5 with a subwoofer to complement it. Would you say this is also a satisfactory alternative?

It would be great hearing some opinions.

Thanks!
Nuno
Nuno, I first heard the B1's in a rather small hotel room, at the Brussels Audio show in 2010.
Hardly the ideal circumstances, but it sounded really great. The amp and CD player were from Chapter Audio (2x2000 Watt amp!).
Since then I heard them with Ayre, Classe, ARC.
In large rooms, in small rooms, and always very precise bass reproduction.
Is your room OK?

Good luck in your journey!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables