Thread: 3.7 vs. 3.7i
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos View Post
This is consistent with something I saw about the 3.7i change (I can't find the source, sorry), that it involved changing the tensioning in the bass/mid panel during manufacturing.

The tensioning is pretty important and a big Magnepan trade secret---the tension isn't even uniform around the sides, presumably tighter at top and looser near the bottom. Remember the Apogee trapezoid? Why a trapezoid? For the same reason--- a non-uniform geometry makes less resonance degeneracy (multiple geometrical resonances piling up on the same frequency) and so a broader, lower Q, resonance behavior.

The tensioning (and the resonance dots) are part of the 'black arts'.

Perhaps the bass on 3.7 non-i was a bit overdamped vs the ideal and the 3.7i change fixes this. It corresponds to the description of something that was adapted into the manufacturing process at low cost, unlike the major model upgrades.

The description of the phase-coherent crossover I think refers to changes from 3.7 over 3.6.
From a person who has made the i-upgrade "Shelia said no burn in for the upgrade.....and they did not touch the Mylar, but my socks and side rails were off..."

Could also be the damping tape behind the midrange.
First Listen: Magnepan 3.7i loudspeaker | Hi-Fi+

Last edited by Sceptic; 10-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.