View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM

DATE: December 2011
Mr. GRAVY

Re: Bryston SP-3 Report
STUNNING

Hey gents - here is a shot of an unboxed black rackmount SP-3 for anyone that likes pictures. I've yet to sit down and document the detailed differences that I'm hearing between the SP1.7 and the SP-3, and will do that soon - I'm hoping over the holidays things will slow down enough for a critical listen and review.

To start - I absolutely loved the sonics of my SP1.7. I found the noise floor so low that the dynamic range in music and movies really shined. If anyone wants to get into high-end 5.1 multichannel, the SP1.7 is a great piece. I hated to have to list it for sale, but it is time to move on and move up.

The short story on the SP-3 is that this experience is even better. The clarity of dialogue from the centre channel, and the range from quiet to explosive dynamics on the mains and rears is incredibly engaging.

For the very first time, I watched a DTS-HD lossless Bluray track (Green Lantern) and I was incredibly engaged by the clarity and dynamics of the sound. When the audio is quiet, it is truly black. This adds so much to the dynamic range. Too bad it couldn't help with the storyline. *rimshot*

Contrast that against just how easy it is to listen to the SP-3 at very high volume (my movie reference volume) that I didn't realize how loud and clear the audio was until I tried to comment on a scene to my wife sitting beside me, and she couldn't hear me. It blows away any theatre experience I've had, bar none.

One more word – stunning!