View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
One could say the same if you paired perception with either of those.
I'm in more agreement on perception paired with reality than with theory (though not in total disagreement). Let me attempt to explain.

Quite a while back, I heard a radio program featuring Jay Kessler, a counselor who often answered listener questions. Someone had written in asking whether it was okay to date someone who was much older (or younger) than oneself. Mr. Kessler replied that, everything else being equal, theoretically, age didn't matter; he then went on to describe how the age difference could matter in reality and the need to be mindful of that. As Mr. Kessler was a Christian counselor, one could assume the Bible's concept/definition of love was the objective standard he used as basis for his statements. That standard isn't based on externals or secondary things (age, race, appearance, money, etc.), but would be based on the person, who he/she is. Indeed, the concept is borne out in my own life as I have a couple of women friends who are young enough to be my daughters, yet as one of them once e-mailed me, "I understand that our friendship is perhaps somewhat 'unconventional,' but I'm perfectly fine with that. To be honest, I don't lend much thought to it. I enjoy your company simply for who you are (:" (italics mine).

A theory is based upon a set of facts/principles obtained through inquiry, scientific or otherwise. Where I agree with your statement regarding "theory" is if the investigator brings some personal bias to the process and then interprets or alters the results according to that bias, or dismisses out of hand any result that doesn't agree with it. That is not the case ideally, and I'm coming from the place that the facts are what they are and the theory is based on them with no taint. Since everybody isn't using the same copper, materials, or even the same manufacturing processes, I think it possible that cables can sound different, and my own listening experience bears that out (and I'm not even a hard-core audiophile). In my system it seems that the further down the chain, the bigger the difference. I have an "objective" curiosity, and when I've put new/different ICs in my system it was to see if there was a difference, not to confirm a pre-conceived bias.

I have a pair of Transparent Super ICs on the way, and I will determine for myself if they make an important difference in my setup or not.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 08-13-2017 at 06:03 AM.