View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM

Default Yes, Probably Being MQA-capable Was the Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Did the Explorer 2 really sound better then your Direct stream DAC ? ( even with MQA)

The explorer2 is a portable DAC/AMP using the USB power supply,

Did you use the headphone for testing ?

Don't get me wrong I like the Meridian Explorer 2, I use it in the office to listen to music.
I hear what you are saying, it really surprises me as well.

Playing MQA in "passthru" mode to the PS Audio DAC sounds dull and somewhat "lifeless" on my system, compared to the Explorer2. I suspect this is what the MQA folks refer to as a reduction in the "blur", but the dynamics are much improved as well.

Now, last night I did a similar comparison with non-MQA listening and the PS Audio DAC won "hands down". But when passing MQA thru that little DAC, I find the sound is better.

I do have a really nice set of headphones, but really prefer to listen to my speakers. Maybe I'll try the cans next time I have time for the comparisons.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling