View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Serge,
From what you say and what the Ref 2 brought to my system, I'm quite positive that I will prefer the sound of the Ref 5 over the C1000P. But experience will tell.
About the light forwardness in the mids of the PMC, I'm not sure wether most PMC owners would agree here. It is true that the mids of the PMC have something magical, but I personally would not qualify them as "forward".
Perceived synergy and taste varies from listener to listener, we all know that. You may find the REF5 the golden ticket in your system, you may prefer the balance of C1000 with the rest of your system. That the 2301s are McIntosh masterpiece, (IMHO), (I have not heard the newer 601s) in absolute terms of transparency, neutrality, resolution and plenty of air and three dimensionality is not a question as far as my ears go. They are very, very impressive 300w tube monoblocks. The ARC REF 210s were no slouch either, I would have a hard time deciding between the 210s and the 2301s honestly. The choice between the C1000 and REF5 may very well be a much easier one for you but it depends on what you perceive the synergy to be and your own taste.

About the PMC midrange, I am not a huge expert, have only heard them once. If you don't agree with mid forwardness, perhaps it was my experience only.