Thread: Gibbon X cometh
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 07:44 PM

Default Gibbon X cometh

For my first posting I figured I'd start with some of my more memorable listening experiences of the last few months. I love the fact that DeVore has its own sub-forum here. Because...

I was fortunate to have spent some time in the Devore Fidelity room at RMAF this year. There, I got to re-experience John's biggest Gibbon to date, a now production-ready 3 way speaker that has evolved since its last showing. This change manifests itself in a newly designed midrange driver and side-mounted woofer configuration with design elements that have trickled down from the Silverback reference. This frees up the face to look far more Gibbon-like than its previous showing IMHO. As always, real solid wood is used. In this case bamboo - no faux veneer here.

I've attached a few pics that depict what I saw from the listening spot, a scan of the flyer that John provided in the room and some of my listening notes. Pricing $15,500-ish with Q1 availability. I have a local dealer so I hope to give them a listen in a more familiar setting.

On that note, it was evident that a great deal of care was taken to place the Gibbon X in the room given there unique positions. They were playing the room at an angle quite distant from any boundaries. Optically, you wouldn't think it to be right. But sonically, it did the trick. Although DeVore's designs are always a treat for the eyes - it's obvious John designs first with his ears.

Seek them out. Cheers.

image-169213784.jpg