View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Last night we went to hear James Carter (saxophones) with the Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio (Hammond B3, Guitar, Drums) at Jazz At The Bistro in St. Louis.

It is amazing how four people can fill a room with so much energy and intensity, and that is exactly what they did. James Carter opened with a rousing and virtuoso display on Tenor Saxophone, with equally great solos from the others. During the course of the night he featured his Tenor, but also a baritone, soprano and a contra-bass saxophone. First time I ever heard a contra-bass live, and it is quite a magnificent instrument.

It was a great set lasting about 80 minutes. When the band members left the stage, Lonnie remained and did an encore on his...cane. Yes, it turns out his cane is an electronic slapstick thingamajig. He soloed on that as the other band members eventually made their way back to the stage for an extended encore.

After the show Lonnie remained to chat with people and sign autographs, so we went up to meet him. He got the biggest charge out of the fact I have a huge vinyl collection of jazz. When I told him how many 50/60s Blue Note LPs I've collected he got an ear to ear grin on his face. He kept telling Missy he now has to outlive me so he can have it. Seriously, it was so much fun to jest with him.

What a great show. I am really glad I got to attend.