View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
Interesting. I am concerned with overdoing the absorption. I do not like dead rooms.

I’ve been reading through GIK’s website. Some good info, but of course it’s a sales pitch. The advice is also more studio biased, which has different objectives than our listening rooms.

I am calculating that I can make extensive skyline-style diffusers using 4x4 inch posts from Lowe’s for just a few hundred dollars and spec it to my exact size needs. GIK’s site says that random length pieces will be ineffective and their Gotham diffusers are mathematically way superior (and awesome looking, but multiple times the cost). Ugh!
GIK makes good products. Using 1" x 1" posts in a quadratic array would work well, and I saw a kit somewhere to make those with pre-cut pieces. Wish I could remember where I saw them? But random lengths (depths) won't do much for you - need to be a proper array of depths. GIK also makes curved diffusors and those work well too - are lighter and provide some absorption below 200 Hz (which usually comes in handy).