View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 06:48 PM

Default Tube rolling, KT120, 150, or 170?

Got my KT88 fire bottle middle of last year and have had a blast with it. Came with a GE 6sn7, Sovtek 5ar4, and a pair of PSVane KT88 Treasure tubes. Thought it sounded great but I had to try other tubes of course!

I own a variety of 6sn7 and 6sl7 tubes but they are buried in storage a ways away. Had a friend send me a spare GE 6sl7 he had. Also bought a new 5u4G. Tried different combos of those tubes along with 807, new 7581a, el34, 6v6, and GL KT66. Ended back at the combo that came with the amp lol!

These KT88s have a bell like clarity that is addictive. All of the other combos sounded veiled to me. Now I'm hearing about the big Tung Sol tubes and I'm curious about those. It's one thing for internet randos to praise a tube but when the guy that designed your amp extolls their virtues I take notice! So what are people's experiences going from the KT88 to the 120,150, or 170?

I have always liked Sylvania 6sn7 and 6sl7 tubes in previous amps I have had so I am looking forward to hearing them in this amp too. I got some 7n7 tubes and am waiting for the adapters to come in.

I've had fun reading 200+ posts in this thread! I met Dennis 25 or so years ago at a get together at Deja Vu audio when he was demonstrating his Cary 805 amps. Had always wanted to own one of his SE amps and now I do! Happy days!