View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
We bought a new home and will be selling our house. The new house doesn't work with our entertainment center.

So, I need to find a good audio rack for my gear...Denon AVR-887 (pre/pro for now), Anthem PVA-7, Oppo BDP-105, and DirecTV box (or cable box).

What should I look for in a good audio rack? What features, what design features, etc?
My criteria for the same as the above is , what do you want to achieve in the end & work backwards to find your starting point. My top priority is isolation. There is no point in having the best looking rack that vibrates/rings & is detrimental to the sound of your system & room, the room reference being in a bad place, too big or badly positioned to the point of interfering with the direct sound.
Do you want to spend more on a properly isolated rack system that will save you a lot of money in the long run instead fo having to isolate every component on each shelf after the initial euphoria wears off after a new audio purchase.
My other criteria is looks & how that look will interplay with the room as in design, example being if you have planar speakers you don't want a big rack in the middle of the speakers that has the components tightly together that will act like a large block/wall that will have an adverse effect on the presentation & overall sonics of the music. Once you get to this stage the length & the overall expense of cables come into the price arena also, but, if you choose wisely & find a rack that ticks all the boxes for you it is indeed a very good investment for your system.