Thread: ARC Ref 160S
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billion$Baby View Post
According to some people I know they have said the same thing about other brands (Hegel..Don't remember the model and Luxman M900) where they preferred the stereo version over the mono version.

As to what Dave Gordon said...what else would you expect him to say?? Shaking my head over that comment. I would trust a reviewer before I would listen to somebody with the most skin in the game...and that's somebody who works for the manufacturer.

My point is that it’s not in ARC’s interest to make and sell a unit for $20k that is better than a current model they sell for $30k. If they did that, they would lose their upgrade from stereo to separates business. So I believe David Gordon is the right authority because it’s his/ARCs decision how they design and price their components. It would be like if someone told you that got more coffee in a Starbucks Venti than a Grande. I would believe Starbucks when they say Grande costs more and is bigger and that is an intentional plan. There is no logic I can fathom where ARC intentionally or accidentally inverts this. I can believe some random dude who heard each with different speakers may have thought the Stereo was better but the manufacturer has compared under identical circumstances and has designed the pieces and set their prices.