View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 05:59 PM
Listener in Training

Default Innovation & Stillpoints Impressions

It's been a few months since I bought my Innovation with 12" Universal tonearm and DaVinci II cartridge. While I liked the setup a lot, given the investment, I was a bit underwhelmed as it sounded a bit flat at times (hard to describe this, but almost like a CD vs. vinyl to a dedicated vinlyphile). I also experienced something I never did with the previous setup (a Rega P3-24 TT & Elys cartridge), which was the CA setup can skip if someone steps on a certain spot on the listening room floor (which is above a basement). I put two and two together, and figured I must have an isolation issue that the greater sensitivity with the existing gear has revealed.

Masterlu advised I try Stillpoints, and lo and behold I have a consistently great sound from this setup that is truly engaging. As to the floor, a 30+ year wood frame house will have its issues and I'm not sure how much longer we'll be here, so I'm not going to invest in a structural engineer at this time. Amazing how the Stillpoints made such a difference - they really enabled the gear to perform. As always, great advice from Ivan!

Attached are a some photos of the Stillpoints. In one, you can see Nipper's enjoying it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP3.jpg (814.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg SP2.jpg (799.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg SP1.jpg (811.5 KB, 177 views)
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable