View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 PM

Default Second Top 10 List

Here is the rest of my favorites. Again, I'm looking for great music played well and captured superbly in a well engineered recording.

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 'Pathétique'
Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev

I have yet to hear another version of the Pathétique interpreted, played and recorded as well as this 1991 Virgin Classics release.

Rimsky Korsakov: Scheherazade, Op. 35, Capriccio espagnol, Op. 34
London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Charles Mackerras

This is exciting music and a good vehicle to showcase the virtuosity of an orchestra. The LSO does not disappoint here with its brass section stealing the show. This is a true demonstration disc by Telarc at the peak of its powers.

Stravinsky: The Firebird, The Rite of Spring
Minnesota Orchestra, Eiji Oue

For a memorable sonic and musical experience try this Reference Recording HRx disc (DVD-R data discs contain exact, digit-for-digit copies of the original Reference Recordings 176.4 kHz / 24-bit digital masters). DVD-R discs play on Oppo machines. Another favorite Rite with an awesome bass drum is Esa-Pekka Salonen's version with the Los Angeles Philharmonic on an DG SACD.

Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 2 in E minor, Op. 27
Vocalise, Op. 34 No. 14 - arrangement for orchestra
Aleko - Intermezzo & Women's Dance
London Symphony Orchestra, André Previn

EMI caught lightning in a bottle with this 1973 recording. Under $12, this disc is proof that audiophile discs do not have to cost a fortune. The string playing detail and the transparency are remarkable. I think you can write the score for every instrument by just listening to this.

Chopin:
Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Op. 11
Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21
Ingrid Fliter (piano), Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Jun Märkl

This Linn SACD is one of the best piano concerto recordings I've heard. Everything is just right.

Mozart: Requiem in D minor, K626
Dunedin Consort, John Butt

Yet another Linn SACD that sweeps the board. This most sublime music is played by the Dunedin Consort in such a caring and expert manner that it makes for compelling listening. The 16-member choir signs with extreme clarity and perfect diction.

Mozart: Don Giovanni, K527
Bo Skovhus, Alessandro Corbelli, Christine Brewer, Jerry Hadley &Felicity Lott
Scottish Chamber Orchestra & Chorus, Sir Charles Mackerras

This opera recording is fun to listen to. For a quick fix of the most dramatic scene in all opera just play Finale: "Già la mensa è preparata" and let Mozart take you for ride. Excellent Telarc recording that captures the superb playing of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 (complete)
Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Nikolaus Harnoncourt

This 1991 Teldec set is magnificent. I cannot find any weak links here and these are some of the most exciting Beethoven symphony recordings anywhere. In my view, the combination of this composed music, the orchestral sound it yields, the superb recorded sound and its playback on my system is a triumph of humanity. Don't miss this Harnoncourt set. An excellent alternative period instrument set is by Jos van Immerseel and Anima Eterna.

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, Op. 23
Yevgeny Sudbin (piano), São Paulo Symphony Orchestra, John Neschling

I've never heard the first few bars of the B flat concerto as well reproduced as on this BIS SACD. You can perfectly hear every key stroke Sudbin hits. It's one of the best piano recordings I'm aware of.

Mozart:
Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K550
Symphony No. 41 in C major, K551 'Jupiter'
Anima Eterna, Jos van Immerseel

This Jupiter is superb and the recording of it even better.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - HONORABLE MENTION- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C minor 'Resurrection'
Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer

Listen to the otherworldly low strings during the first movement - very eerie. Then the climaxes are some of the most realistic-sounding I've heard from any recording - they sound live and are thrilling. The crowning achievement is the finale and the Channel SACD sound is beyond superb. (I should move this SACD to the top choices rather than "Honorable Mention").

JS Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
Concerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini

Not sure what the cover art is all about, but you'll soon forget it when you hear the first few bars. These are invigorating performance of an old war horse with a refreshing Italianate take on the music. The Naive recording is superlative.

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
Drottingham Baroque Ensemble, Nils-Erik Sparf

This is a most exciting recording of the Four Seasons with excellent BIS engineering to boot.

Lalo: Cello Concerto
Matt Haimovitz (cello), Chicago Symphony Orchestra, James Levine

For some orchestral fun try this one. The Chicago SO brass will blow you away.

Last edited by cma29; 11-23-2014 at 10:44 PM.