View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post

Barsur, here in the thread, did a comparison between some different eras Accuphase preamplifier and they were indistinguishable between each other.

I recently did the same with my (recently restored) C-280V (1990), C-290V (1998) and C-2420 (2012) and found the same as Barsur: basically they are all just perfect to me. And the C-280V (with restoration) and C-290V, together, cost to me way less than C-2420.
I'm always astonished to read, that people did not hear any differences between various Accuphase preamps and even claim they were indistinguishable.

Presumably this may have something to do with some limiting elements within the rest of the chain (sources, power amps, speakers, cables, room acoustics and how you deal with it).

The change from the famous C-3800 to the current C-3850 in my system was immediately audible. But this seemingly simple change also required new measurements and settings in my DG-58!
Without these new measurements and settings, the potential of the C-3850 could not be fully unleashed and both preamps sounded much closer together.

The bottom line is:
The setup of the entire system is crucial! One unsuitable cable and your "test" becomes meaningless.

Martin

P.S. Buona pasqua, Mattia.