View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 07:23 AM
Semi-audiophile

There are other choices in the price range (around $4k, I believe) for sure, but there is also the matter of what one wants. The MT2 is pretty much plug and play; a VPI Prime, for example, is not, from what I've seen. That convenience factor will matter to some. It would to me. I don't know if the arm has a detachable headshell (no mention of it in the manual or literature; perhaps I missed it) but if it does, changing cartridges is much easier. I prefer detachable headshells. On the other hand there are indeed other choices such as the Pro-Ject Xtension 10, but if I want a detachable headshell I'll have to go to the Xtension 12, which is more money.

The MT2 looks to be less fussy to operate than many of the other choices out there, and for some it will be a good choice for practical reasons. Its relatively compact size presents more placement options. And at 29 pounds, it has a manageable weight for any who need that (I wouldn't have minded a bit more heft, myself). Then, there's the Mac mystique too, I suppose. It can look cool with the other Mac gear in one's system.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks