View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
1 I have never seen science to support this.

2 I am keenly aware of human bias which makes clear we hear and see what we want or what we assume. We then construct a logical case to support what we believe. We don't truly look objectively at about anything in our life.

3 Then there is what I consider common sense.

A If I am paying more than $6k for each monoblock and the manufacturer is not maximizing his product by giving me inferior cords, I need look to a different manufacture, don't you think?

B We have no control over the power from the power plant until our house. At that point a 3 foot wire will transform it? Hello. (McIntosh suggests we plug amps directly into wall, not after conditioners)

-----------------

and then you have the old, does it sound better or different? Tube amps introduce distortion that is loved by many.... yet, it's distortion that is making the music "warm." so is it "better?"
See?
I beleive skepticism is necessary, which is why I'm asking.
I heard a more noticable difference between power cables, than I did trying to compare 320 and flac on my paradigm computer speakers. He had a sweet nordost cable, and he found a standard cable he kept in his office. It wasn't an OEM Mc cable, it looked like a standard 18 gauge would work with any appliance with a removable cord. My Mc amp came with a 14 gauge cable.

What I heard was audible, even if just subtle. But was I tricked by because the cord may have been lesser than OEM cables? I don't know.

If you can suspend disbelief for a minute, does the fancy power cable sound better because it's a heavier gauge wire? Is it better shielding? The dealer stated that the cable is braided a special way that blocks noise naturally, that sounds fishy. Is it that it's silver plated copper?

I'm a manufacturer of consumer products myself, and I know what it costs to build some things. In my industry, actual material costs make up 10% of the final retail price. Labor makes up 12%. The rest is overhead, management, marketing, etc. If Mc spent as little as $50 on upgrading the cable the product price may go up $500 to do so. On the other hand our amps are a premium product and should have the best cables with no audible sacrifice.