View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1120s View Post
Thanks. However, I have the Marantz amps already (see signature). I just happened to see a pair of Revels for sale near my area for about 50% retail and was thinking........that said, The JBL 1400 Arrays I have are great-to me. As most here will attest, the 'upgrade bug' sometimes arisies. To tell the truth, I suspect the Salons would be a tad to big for my modest room anyway.

Thanks again to everyone. Maybe if a pair of Klipsch P-37 Palladium speakers are out there.......Perhaps a efficient speaker is what is on the horizon......
Not to try to keep your bug alive, but have you heard the Salon 2's? You might be swayed with a good listen, like I was. I did the same thing, got them used at 50% retail, which is a steal in my book for anything approaching this level of SQ. I tried to power them initially with a Sunfire 200wpc amp that doubled down into 4 and 2 ohms. It sucked, and I couldn't understand why, since many of the reviews I'd read had used amps with lesser power. The guys here "harassed" me into buying a more powerful, better quality amp. I came across another great deal on a used MC452 and jumped on it. To say the improvement in SQ was enormous is an understatement. Now, can I tell you that Mike is right and this beast, with more power, will sound even better? I cannot, as I've not made that comparison, and frankly I don't feel the need to, as I am extremely happy with where I am now. Having said that, there has been a time or two where I saw the needle pegging, and I wondered if I was pushing the 452 to the max, but that's been so infrequent that it hasn't been an issue. So, as far as 450 watts and the MC452, I think this is a fine amount of watts and a fine amp to get real pleasure from the Salon 2. More power may in fact be better, but I think with 450/452, the threshold of satisfaction and enjoyability has been firmly crossed.
Speakers: Canton Ref K3